Welcome! Please sit down, make yourself comfortable, and have a brownie or three...

Friday, April 15, 2011

Contests And Mid-Month Agent Tweets



I'm sure many of you have already entered the cool contests floating around the blogosphere, but here's a reminder about two great ones:


Agent Pitch Contest on Yatopia: Judged by agent Natalie Fischer, this is a two-sentence pitch that will close at 150 entries (there were already 80 or entries as of 7:00 am Monday morning) or April 21.

Agent Pitch and Page Contest on Ebysswriter: a 140-character pitch and your first 250 words. Contest ends April 17. The judge is the incredible agent Gina Panettieri of Talcott Notch!!! And this is a big plus for those of us still working on a WIP—your manuscript DOES NOT HAVE TO BE FINISHED for this contest! *NOW CLOSED*

OH, AND BY THE WAY~Ms.. Panettieri tweeted (ginapanettieri) this in reference to the contest, which already had several entries by mid-Tuesday: @ebyss That's great! This is really drawing some quality work and I know some editors will definitely be checking it out!


~ ~
And now, here are some fun/informative Agent Tweets from the month of April so far:

SarahGreenhouse Sarah Davies

A tip for today. Avoid using major brand names in your ms. Trademarks tend to be guarded by very litigious attorneys; don't mess with them.


Natalie_Fischer Natalie M. Fischer

Seriously. ANSWER damn questions you start in a novel. >:( (knows I'm probably freaking ppl out, lol)


MoWritersGuild (tweeted by a rep of the MO Writers Guild Conference)

Agent Kristin Nelson loves great writing but she'd love a middle grade novel for boys. #MoWritersGuild
**I'm sure that's not supposed to indicate that MG novels for boys aren't well-written, it was just kind of phrased that way :) **

tehawesomersace RT by ElanaRoth

Okay Twitter, looking for dystopian stories featuring people of color and not by Octavia Butler. Go!

StaciaDecker Stacia Decker

If you reference my age in your query letter, you've pretty much already pissed me off.


kate_mckean Kate McKean (this was retweeted by several agents too!)

You must resist all urges to turn your diaries into a novel.


MarleneStringer Marlene Stringer

Using "gonna" in your Q might not be the best word choice to demonstrate your writing skill.



Happy Friday!

31 comments:

  1. As usual, great updates Jess!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if you know an agent's age, then you're bordering on being a stalker. ;)

    So I'm not allowed to say Bandaids and Kleenexes???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your updates, Jess. This is so helpful. Thanks, and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh - I used "lotta" in my pitch in the last contest you put me onto. That's almost as bad as "gonna". So glad about that contest that doesn't require a finished MS because I got myself into trouble with that in above mentioned contest :) (Thanks for including the twitter links, that's so helpful!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Twitter picks! :)
    I second the one asking for Dystopian novels with people of color.
    Now if only my writing is where it needs to be... *sigh*
    Going back to keep learning. Hopefully someday that request will be fulfilled by dozens.
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Totally loved it!

    And laughing because I have entered all three of those contests. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your blog! I look forward to your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie Fischer's tweet cracked me up. Something tells me this is not just a vague thought, but the comment of an unsatisfied reader who just finished a book that left her hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck hunting the wild agent.

    I'm starting up a 'Critiquing Crusaders' program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form critiquing circles. If you're interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tweets! Elana Roth's looking for something I've just written, so I'm happy I read this : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the links! I didn't do the 1st one because I'm nearly done, but not done yet. But I can do the 2nd one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also posted about another competition that's running right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really glad that you liked the nerd quote! Thanks for the feedback!
    Romi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great updates! Thank you for doing all the work and boiling the best stuff down for us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great advice in these tweets! Great contests for aspiring writers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you collected these tweets. I missed ALL of them! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...you are in the KNOW. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great collection of quotes...wondered about using major brands in ms thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jess, I love these twitter quotes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The tweets are always awesome! And thanks for the contest info - I entered one. A day too late for the other... :( Good luck to anyone entering!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this feature of yours, Jess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Man, I need to get over here more often. I've been a blogging slug lately. Anyway, thanks for all the links and the tweet quotes. Love those!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, I love how you've collected these little gems for us here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete