Welcome! Please sit down, make yourself comfortable, and have a brownie or three...

Friday, July 26, 2013

Agent-Judged Contests, Agent Advice, and Agent Wish Lists!

Happy Friday! Can you believe next week it'll be August??? I've got one teen heading into his 2nd year of high school and one teen heading off to college this Fall...makes me realize how soon the little ones will be growing up. Okay, enough with the mommy blubbering.

Today is the last day to enter Dorothy Dreyer's 3-2-1 Pitch Contest! Agent Lindsay Ribar of Sanford J. Greenburger Associates will be choosing a winner. The contest is open to completed and polished (unagented) Middle Grade and Young Adult manuscripts. Click the link below to head over to Dorothy's blog for details.

3-2-1 Pitch Contest Entry Post
~~~~
Check out this upcoming contest for Middle Grade, Young Adult, and New Adult manuscripts, hosted by Adventures in YA Publishing (submission window opens July 31st and closes August 3rd):

AUGUST PITCH + 250 CONTEST
~~~~
Read the First Five Frenzy with Molly Jaffa of Folio Literary Management at Amy Trueblood's blog, Chasing the Crazies. Molly discusses what she likes to see and what doesn't work in those all-important first five manuscript pages:

First Five Frenzy with Molly Jaffa
~~~~
#MSWL update

I'm sure that many of you have seen the hashtag #MSWL on Twitter, referring to Manuscript Wish Lists for agents/editors. GalleyCat did a post on the topic back at the end of June (you can read that post HERE). Here are three new #MSWL tweets from the last week:

21 Jul
I could totally go for an unapologetic horror manuscript with lots of death and bizarre elements! !!!

20 Jul
I'm looking for a nontraditional heroine. Not that I don't love the ladies of the ton, but want something new.

22 Jul
Looking for fresh settings, unusual heroines, crisp, snappy dialogue. Would love a good Early Georgian or Paris during the terror...

And here's a link to a lovely list that a lovely somebody (would love to give credit, but I'm not sure who's responsible for it!) put together as a #MSWL round-up:

AGENT/EDITOR WISH LIST

According to agent Jessica Sinsheimer (the brains behind this great idea) there will be another official #MSWL event with new tweets coming in September!


*I'll be with family next week, but will be back the following Friday. An interview with the amazing Tina Wexler is coming soon!

21 comments:

  1. Kids in college really hit me, especially when the second one started last fall. :)

    Thanks for the contest link, going to go check that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so bittersweet? You're so proud of them, but I imagine the change in the feel of the household will be palpable.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to next year so I can seriously use all your wonderful info and links. That means my ms has to be ready by next year. eep.

    Akoss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that you just typed "the end," so I'm sure you'll be done revising by next year. Querying and contests, here you come!

      Delete
  3. I'll be having my daughter (and only child) going to college two years from now. It's going so fast. Thanks for all the agent info. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savor the time you have with your daughter! I'm sure she'll be doing research and maybe even applying to colleges this coming year.

      Delete
  4. Great info! Thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for spreading the word! Enjoy these last few weeks of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faith, I will! Once Fall hits in my part of Colorado, snow can hit anytime...grumble, grumble, I hope I'm not scraping snow off my car in September again this year.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to check out these contests, Jess--as soon as I can after summer birthday parties, guests, and general busyness. Can't believe how fast this summer is going. Even after the kids grow up life speeds by! So thanks for the info' and continue to enjoy the kids, no matter what stage they're entering :-) Happy rest of the summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your time with family. It's amazing how quickly the summer is going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're back with a bang! Whoever thought up #MSWL is BRILLIANT! It's delightful to see what agents want (even if I don't need one anymore!). Thanks for all the info. You ROCK! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to check out MSWL??? And the agents seem to like it also, which is great :)

      Delete
  9. This is awesome information! If I had something ready I'd totally plow into this, but that won't stop me from checking out the action. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! Get whatever you're working on ready and plow away!

      Delete
  10. Great info - I'm rarely on Twitter and didn't know about the hashtag - so never worry about writing about the obvious (there's always me :) Have fun with your family and thanks for a great post (as always!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I'm back now and am exhausted (in a good way!)

      Delete
  11. Oh, yes! The Editor/Agent Wish List! I've been checking in on the Tumblr one, since there are some wonderful editors participating, and I've passed on the address to friends who are querying. Such a good resource! It just reminds me -- yet again -- how lucky we are to be writers in a world with technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? What a fantastic way for editors/agents/publishers to help those querying!

      Delete