Welcome! Please sit down, make yourself comfortable, and have a brownie or three...

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Confession Tuesday - Inner Manuscripting

Okay, this may sound a little weird, but do you ever find yourself writing a mental manuscript of your daily actions? It’s kind of like inner dialogue, but with descriptions and scene-setting too. I confess to having a problem with inner manuscripting.

My inner manuscript voice pops up now and then, and it’s always obnoxiosly cheesy. Seriously, it’s bad. Here's an example:

My stepdaughter was watching the animated movie Monsters vs. Aliens and there was a scene where a groom was talking to a bride before the wedding. The girl was in her wedding dress and told the groom, “Go away, it’s bad luck to see me in my dress!” The groom protested, but my stepdaughter echoed the comment. “She’s right, it is bad luck.”

I was at the sink (letting water fill a pasta pot) at the time and at those particular words, my dramatic inner author began writing, mainly due to the fact that I never had a wedding. I tried to shut her up, knowing the exact soap-opera tone she would adopt. It’s nothing like my writing in real life, and I have no idea where it comes from. My God, I could almost hear the tiny violins playing in the background while my inner manuscript writer took over…

She gazed out the window with a bittersweet regret; “no wedding and no stress” had also equaled “no honeymoon and no dress.” It was done though; her time for ceremony had passed and the only wedding she could look forward to now was her daughter’s….yada, yada, yada, more junk about dust on windowsill, drift into dust/life metaphors, blather, blather, etc.

I burst out laughing, interrupting the melodramatic moron in my head, and jogged over to the computer to jot down the thoughts before they faded. I figured that sharing an embarrassing habit might make for an interesting blog post, but it also brings up an honest question.

Do you ever find yourself watching the car next to you or people at the grocery store, and think about their frustrating or humorous situations as page text?

Do you ever have an inner manuscript writer documenting a mundane activity (The soccer game dragged on and on, and she couldn’t help thinking that one more afternoon of shouting accolades for kids who didn’t even seem to know what sport they were playing might just drive her over the edge)?

Just wondering :)

12 comments:

  1. I totally do this! Only most of my inner manuscripts have to do with broken tractors and horses not getting along. Pony drama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, back in the olden days they'd put you in a straight-jacket for that. LOL

    I'd have to say that I do this like every day. Things around will spark an inner manuscript but usually it has to do with my current project. Most of it's crap and I can't use it or I'm in the shower or my hands are all doughy and I can't write it down. And just as quickly as it came to me, it's gone for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pony drama- I love it! Brenda, I can totally relate to getting snippets of story-related ideas and then losing them because something else comes up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... Ha ha! Of course I do this! Who doesn't?? Wait. Don't answer that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this all the time! Mostly with dialogue and strong emotions, though. My inner writer/voice isn't quite so dramatic, but she's still annoying. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I'm feeling a little left out here. I'm not sure I've done this before.But I'm known around my house for grabbing a pen whenever someone says something I can use. Like in the middle of an arguement - "Oh! That's good! Wait a minute, let me find my notebook."

    or when my stepdaughters are around - "Calm you junk? Can I use that?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this all the time. Like you said, it's not my actual writing style, but I sure have fun running the video and narration in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry--I'm picturing you pausing an argument to go running for paper/pen--hilarious! I'll try that next time the hubby and I get in a tiff and he says something silly.

    Catherine, Brittany, & Elana--Good to hear I'm not alone here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do that too! Maybe it's a way of making my life seem more dramatic! And I make up back stories for other people all the time.

    ReplyDelete