Welcome! Please sit down, make yourself comfortable, and have a brownie or three...

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

America's Next Author Competition

Today's post is a quick FYI:

Digital book retailer eBookMall.com is launching its first annual America's Next Author competition, somewhat modeled after American Idol. In the search for new talent, readers will judge entries even before the official jury, and authors will get feedback about their writing.

To enter the contest, writers can sign up here and enter a short story between 2,500 and 5,000 words. Participants started entering stories on Sept. 13, 2012, and you have a week left to enter. Voting begins on Oct. 9, 2012.

In addition to being judged by visitors, stories will be read by a panel of experienced professionals from the publishing industry who will be overseeing the contest. These judges will read entries and provide feedback to authors. They will also nominate four additional wildcard authors, adding them into the final rounds of competition.

Entering the contest is free, and the grand prize is $5,000. 

To see the complete official rules for America’s Next Author, click here.

eBookMall.com offers digital books from the world’s biggest publishers, including Random House, Simon & Schuster and MacMillan. Books are available in PDF and ePub formats for Windows and Mac computers, Android tablets, dedicated eReaders and mobile phones.

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I guess if nothing else, this is a good way to gain visibility (and $5000)... but a publishing contract would be a BETTER grand prize, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that it's a short story they're asking for. Too bad I don't have one ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't write short stories either. I wonder if the rules say anything about a novel excerpt being okay (I didn't read the rules).

      Delete
  3. Interesting competition, but (alas) I don't have a short story either. Do you know about any contests for half-finished but well-intended novels??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think a competition like that would be too flooded with submissions to ever find a winner :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't written short stories in a while. I bet if I read my old ones now I'd be like, Yeesh! Was I really once that awful?!
    But thanks for the heads up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never written short stories successfully :)

      Delete
  5. Cool! Thanks for always having such great links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would probably be something I would enter if I lived in the US; I'd be interested to see how it goes, being modelled after American Idol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, you're an Aussie~ hard to keep track of where people are from in the blogosphere :)

      Delete
  7. Hmm, I might have something...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds cool - thanks for sharing!

    -Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for being on top of these things, as always Jess:) This sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete