Welcome! Please sit down, make yourself comfortable, and have a brownie or three...

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Literary Halloween Costumes~ Katsa of Graceling vs. Katniss of The Hunger Games (and more!)


Halloween is just two weeks away, and I find myself wondering how many of you will be dressing yourselves or your wee ones in a literary costume.


In the category of strong, weapon-bearing females, it's a tough choice between Katsa of Kristin Cashore's Graceling and Katniss Everdeen of The Hunger Games.

Katniss has the cool bow and arrow, but Katsa would have more of a period/fantasy feel to her garb, giving her costume the slight edge in my mind.

…and we could always throw in Robin LaFever’s amazing character Ismae from the Grave Mercy series. Because nothing says Halloween like a crossbow.

Speaking of Ms. LaFevers, her middle grade books have great costume potential with Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist and Theodosia Throckmorton from the Theodosia series:




And speaking of awesome kidlit authors, does anybody out there have triplets? Consider the lovely author, storyqueen, and blogger Shelley Moore Thomas’s Good Knight series (you MUST read Shelley’s newest book The Seven Tales of Trinket), which features three adorable and mischievous dragons:




 And speaking of dragons, with the first installment of The Hobbit movie coming out this December, why not choose a costume from the Tolkien classic. Smaug, anyone?




 And speaking of books being made into movies, why not be Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby is coming to the big screen next summer) or Sherlock Holmes:

 








Or you could always go super cute and be a character from A.A. Milnes beloved Pooh Bear series or Max from Where the Wild Things Are:


And of course, there are plenty of places to find an adult or child Harry Potter costume, from Harry and Hermione to Dementors and Dumbledore. 
 

Try this HARRY POTTER COSTUMES website.


Have you ever dressed up as a literary character? Any other ideas?

*Click link to read GalleyCat's recent article on the topic: Halloween Costumes based on Books

21 comments:

  1. I haven't dressed up as a literary character for Halloween, but now I wish I had. I've seen a really cute Pippi Longstocking costume (sideways braids and all). When my oldest daughter was about 12, she went to one of the Harry Potter midnight book openings. They were encouraged to dress in costume, and she made her own Quirrell costume, with a mask over the back of her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget about Pippi! I loved Pippi as a girl :) Your daughter sounds like a dedicated HP fan :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, my whole family dressed as Laura Ingalls family one year:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the costume ideas. Pottery barn kids has the cutest where the wild things are costumes out right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yes they do! I love that store. My daughter and I go there to drool over the kitchen toys at least once a month.

      Delete
  4. My one and only attempt at dressing up when I was a kid was as Scooby Doo with a paper mache mask I made myself. However, that was all I ended up with, the mask, and you can't go as Scooby with -just- a mask, so I threw on a sheet, and I became the Ghost of Scooby Doo.
    Yeah, well, that's what my childhood was like. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some serious initiative and talent to make your own Scooby Doo mask! I'm thoroughly impressed, even if the costume didn't turn out as intended.

      Delete
  5. Love this idea! How fun. I think if trick-or-treaters came to my door dressed as a literary character, I'd give them all my candy - even the stuff I stashed in a separate bowl for my own snacking. And what I wouldn't give for that Max suit for Sunshine! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Caryn! Extra treats for literary characters :)

      Delete
  6. This is such a fantastic post, Jess! I was wondering what I should go as for halloween a few weeks back and was considering Katniss (my love for the Hunger Games was born this January-February) but decided against it, this year. I am going as a literary character, though- The Woman in White (from the novel of the same name by Wilkie Collins.) So far I'm just going by imagery, because I'm still waiting to read the book, but I've got a pretty good idea of how it'll look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Woman in White sounds like a great costume!

      Delete
  7. I've dressed as McGonagal, Mrs. Weasley, and Eowyn. I also came as Mary Sanderson (our office was the Sanderson sisters from "Hocus Pocus) and one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Fun to bring my nunchuks to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Hocus Pocus! Ooo, and I still remember the thrill of seeing a Ninja Turtles movie in the theater :) How neat that you get to dress up at work!

      Delete
  8. I'll count the literary costumes I see this year! lol. Love your post! So much fun. My daughter dressed up as one of the characters from my book last year. Of course, no one knew who she was so she'd go off on how great this character was and end with, my mom made her up- like they should know this. lol. Can't ask for better than that, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO sweet! What an awesome and supportive daughter :)

      Delete
  9. Yes! I was Professor MacGonagall two years ago for Halloween and enjoyed it so much! I love these costume ideas (there are so many crossbows now -- holy trend!). This year I'm being a Corpse Countess -- google it and you'll see what was so darn appealing to me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Harry Potter profs! Excellent costume choice for this year :)

      Delete